Friday, May 11, 2012

Modified Beer Can Chicken


Ingredients
  • 2 whole chickens (I like 3-5 pound young chickens, free range if possible)
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 3-5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue rub
  • Malibu Rum

I marinate the chicken with BBQ rub for about 5 hours. Make sure your BBQ rub has very little salt content in it b/c that will just dry the meat out. Take your chickens out of the fridge about an hour before cooking to get them to room temperature. Then baste in olive oil, then add kosher salt before cooking. 

Normally beer can chicken would involve placing chicken on top of a beer can and placing it on your grill. However I decided to change things up and purchased these stainless steel cans that connect to a cooking platter. I filled up the cans 1/3 of the way with Malibu Rum. 

I set my green egg for indirect heat at 450 degrees and roasted for 1 hour. I highly recommend placing some sort of drip pan under the chickens so you don't run the risk of them catching on fire. They turned out delicious. 




No comments:

Post a Comment